Thursday, June 13, 2013

1st Anniversary

Andrew and I are celebrating our first anniversary this Sunday. It's hard to believe it was one year ago we said our "I do's". Being married has actually been easier than I thought it would be. (Yes, I am one of those people).
I never had even the slightest notion that being married would be a fairy tale.  Seeing a divorce firsthand shatters that idea. In fact, part of me believed I would never get married. That is why being married has surprised me is countless ways.
I enjoy being married to Andrew because we are as much best friends as romantic interests. And maybe the fact that both of us are middle children helps us 'get' each other. We both strive to create win-win situations for each other. He encourages me. I comfort him. He negotiates. I am a peacemaker. He has also taught me how to have thicker skin and let go of some of my people pleasing tenancies.  I can be brutally honest with someone now even when it might hurt their feelings... because it is the right thing to do... and if they hate me for it, that is their issue, not mine to carry. 
When I look back to who I was 5 years ago... heck, who I was before I met him, and I think about how selfish and deeply insecure I was. Andrew helped me believe in myself and realize that things don't always revolve around me. In the same vein, I am not always the one to blame for everything (I tend to take on responsibility for everything, carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders... but again, it's not all about me). Its not always my fault (well, some things are - but not everything) and that is huge for me.
I have so much more confidence in who I am because I have someone ON MY TEAM. It's incredible. 
My heart found a place to rest and not be anxious. Be still my heart. I love you Andrew. Thank you for your patience, your love, freeing me to be who I am, and for being a solid rock in my life. I thank God for you everyday. XO
All photos by the talented Becky Lew

0 comments:

Post a Comment