Monday, April 1, 2013

April 2013

It's April 1st.
     This is the month I turn 30 (Wow, that sounds old).  No doubt, my twenties were up and down, but I feel like I have reached a firmer ground.  Maybe the timing is no coincidence - Andrew and I contracted concrete to be poured in the giant hole in our backyard this past weekend.  The hole is a vacancy of what used to be a beautiful gazebo.  The gazebo symbolizes so much for me.  To give you a little background to the story, my husband and I currently live in the house that once belonged to my grandmother.  A big reason she purchased this house was because of the beautiful gazebo in the backyard and the view she could see while sitting in it. The gazebo was rotting terribly and so my Uncles and father had it torn out to avoid massive expenses of replacing it.
     I had to let the dream of the gazebo go, as with many other dreams in life.   We could have put another gazebo up, but it wouldn't have been my grandmother's gazebo.  Instead, we will be replacing it with outdoor furniture and a fire pit. We can enjoy the view with roasted marshmallows in our hands.  Creating new memories with family and friends here. I will be sure to post photos when we have it all set up. 
     I don't doubt that my thirties will also be up and down, similar to my twenties, but I feel more prepared and steadier for the ride.  The rotted, broken pieces have been removed and pruned back, a rather painful process, and a new foundation has been laid. 

This month I want to focus on a few things:
  • Fashion 'a la Mode: April 19th - For the third year in a row,  I am organizing this Fashion event for High School students.  If you have a High School student interested in Fashion careers, this is an amazing event for them to attend.  Check out more info HERE.  It is a day full of workshops, industry speakers and more.  I love this event, but the enormity can stress me out at times.  One. day. at. a. time.
  • Teaching: Improving my teaching and giving my all to students everyday.
  • Yoga: I am following Tara Stiles Yoga videos online and want to do her April calendar of yoga this month. I encourage you to follow along.  She's got this amazing, youthful and earthy vibe to her.
  • Running: I am continuing to run with Andrew several times a week.  We have a running date tonight, in fact.
Here we go April! Cheers to Spring :) 

Sincerely,
Malia

0 comments:

Post a Comment